Friday, January 29, 2010

Use Google to draw your own maps

When it is hard to understand something by words, I would like to use a table. When it is hard to understand numerous numbers in table, I would like to use a figure. So I draw this map of restaurant distribution for my story, and try to figure out something "news-worth".

I have learned how to GIS software to draw a map with several layers. I must admit it's a very professional and powerful tool for the scientist to analyze the habit, population and other characteristic of animal species. But, since I just need a simple map to show me a clear distribution, Google maps is my best choice.

Just set up 'my maps', enter your interest point address, save it to your maps,then you are done! It is easy and quick! The only problem is you may need to take some time to enter all your interest point, harhar!
Here is my maps,


View 7355 HW in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is really awesome and inspiring. I love the interactive element this brings to your blog. I checked out a few of the sites. Like others who have lived in Athens a while, I hesitate to know ALL about the restaurants I frequent. But you've really encouraged me to start on a little mappy-map of my own. Even if it does take forever to enter all of the interest points. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the map! It's so cool - although the health scores of a lot of the restaurants leave much to be desired. The numbers are kind of scary. I wonder if the health department takes photos of the violations? That would be interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The map is excellent! This definitely needs to be on the visit Athens site. I have made a list of my own...and have hidden it from myself. Love this!

    ReplyDelete