Monday, March 22, 2010

"Why us?" II: possible answer

Since I can’t get the authoritative answer for “why us” in most cases, I didn’t use the “probable answers” from experts in my stories. But I am still a little bit interested in confirming their guesses. So I did some study by myself to look into it.

Take the example of the obesity issue. I tried to find some papers to answer my question: whether population status, such as low-income, high-minority will affect a population’s weight.
In a paper published in the Journal of Public Health, January 2010, researchers conducted surveys in three low-income, high-minority California communities. The results suggest that: (1) the average intake of salty snacks, candy, cookies and sweet beverages was 532 kcal, 88% higher than the US Dep. Agriculture and Dep. Health and Human Services recommend; (2) energy from these sources was more strongly related to Body Mass Index (BMI) than reported physical activity, fruit or vegetable consumption. (3)Policies to promote healthy eating and physical activity were limited in worksites; (4)Fruit and vegetables were less salient than junk food in community food outlets.

Another paper I looked at regarding childhood obesity and socioeconomic condition was published at Health Aff. in March 2010. They conducted this study among US children and adolescents using the 2007 National Survey of Children’s Health (So they have very complete data, as I said before). Their findings demonstrate that the odds of a child’s being obese or overweight were 20-60% percent higher among children in neighborhoods with the most unfavorable social conditions such as unsafe surroundings; poor housing; and no access to sidewalks, parks, and recreation centers than among children not facing such conditions. Among the young girls ages 10-11, the obesity and overweight were two or four times more likely than among their counterparts from more favorable neighborhoods.

These two studies draw a similar conclusion: there is a health inequalitiy between the low-income, high minority communities and their counterparts from more favorable circumstances.

In the meantime, if you have checked the social demography information about Clarke County, which I also posted on my blog, you will find out that we do have a large minority population and a high rate of poverty, compared to other states.

Although I was working on the senior obesity and overweight issue story, I think the “possible answer” from experts is probably right for their cases. But if you want more convincing conclusion, I guess you need to contact the demography experts to answer this big question.

No comments:

Post a Comment